One of the arcs I've noted in my personal growth has been the development of my awareness. Ignorance diminishes with age. That's the rule of thumb, at least - as you experience more of the world, the more you learn about it. There is the choice to shut out all of the unpleasantries and turn a blind eye to it in the future. Some manage to be selective about the realities they let into their lives. I'm not too good about picking and choosing. That's just me.
I don't like how this is starting to sound like a diatribe on the dark, scary world, a cruel and unforgiving life experience we all must deal with. Actually, that's not what I'm going for here. Becoming aware of the many hatreds that run deep in our society hasn't made me lose hope for humanity. There are plenty of good people, and most importantly, good people working on being better people, out there every day. Humans aren't a lost cause. No, no, I'm speaking to how my own awareness has changed the way I view stories.
Essentially, my standards have risen. As I've grown older, I've learned to expect more from the media I consume. TV shows, movies, books, video games - any platform that tells a story has the opportunity to shape the minds of the viewers, to make them think. The people presented, what they say, and how they are treated, all funnels into the representation of those the story's portraying.
I assert that stories are the key to planting the seeds of acceptance on a global scale. As a story writer, I feel the weight of that responsibility. I want to write about diverse characters, to give a broader scope to the role of protagonist. Most importantly, I want to be able to do it respectfully. I'm a woman who has experienced sexism first hand. I'm also white, of able body, and in the position to perceptually meet many social norms. Discrimination against me is limited, and writing what I know will require more research to do correctly. But it is possible.
I am not the only story writer out there (obviously). There are those who do not think to write with more diverse representation. There are those who opt not to, either for fear of losing mass appeal or because they are worried about doing it right. But there are those who do not veer towards sloppy story telling that relies on the standard, the expected. These creators should be sought out and supported. I want to find relatability across the whole human spectrum. And I implore you to do the same. Really consider the shows you binge, the movies you pay to see, the books you dedicate your time to, the video games you escape to. Could they expect more from their audience? Can they do better by you?
No comments:
Post a Comment