Interviews come with their own unique sets of manners and behaviors unlike any other standard human interaction. It's as if there's an unwritten script everyone must follow to get everything right, to ask all of the correct questions, to tick off the appropriate boxes - except everyone is reading from a different play. Each turn of phrase can be taken different ways. Being personable and respectful isn't always enough. It can be how you dress, or how you talk that's the difference between favorability and dismissal. It can be how you look. And that's just assuming the interviewer doesn't hold any strong social biases
In theory you're a good person who's got the skills and aptitude for the job you're applying for. Now you have to stand out from the rest of the people who also meet these criteria. But you don't want to stick out in a bad way. Toeing the line between confident and obnoxious, or humble and bland, is probably the hardest part. What does it for the interviewer changes from person to person, and odds are you're meeting this person for the very first time on the day of the interview... On the other side of things, they know about as much about you. The resume in front of them can only tell them so much.
The worst part, for me, is that all of the above must be kept in constant consideration, all while trying to be genuine. That's the conundrum, though - the second you have to try to be genuine, you've already lost the fight. It's a little forced, a little fake. You have your, "I play nice with others and am a valuable asset to any team," face on, which nobody ever says about themselves except at job interviews. The interviewer wants to know the real you, but there's this agreed-upon sense that neither you nor the interviewer are going to be 110% themselves during the process. Afterwards? Sure, maybe. But during, almost never.
So since it's all about the face you put on, the draw to put on a play as someone you're not is strong. I understand that urge, to be the person they want to hire rather than who you feel like you are in general. Now I don't have the answers. All I know is, I still try. Because trying to be genuine is better than faking who I am; because down the line, if I get hired, the facade won't match up with the day-to-day self. We'll see how it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment